Re: Fine Cut Precision vs P&S Engraving Finishing Tools

Greetings to the List,

In 1999 we visited Fine Cut Precision, and P&S Engraving, both in East
Sussex, England.

One feature unique to the decorative tools of P&S is that a slight
convex surface is given to the working surface of their tools.  At the
time of our visit, Fine Cut tools still had a flat surface.

What this means, of course, is that one can roll the surface of the tool
and be more assured of having the whole surface come into contact with
the material being tooled.  For leather surfaces, this indeed enhances
the effectiveness of the procedure.  This feature,  however, is also
effective when tooling cloth, which has less give, and which appreciates
the fullness of such a convex movement.

Peter Krantz

Book Restorations.
Sydney,