Re: Fish glue

I used to have fish glue in thin translucent wafers that could be melted in the
glue pot, like hide/hoof glue. It was great for laminating boards for covers.
You could take a couple of thin green label Davey boards and combine them into a
beautiful board that was very stiff and hard.

It was way too brittle for a spine. A flexible horse-type glue is suitable
there, if one is sticking to protein based adhesives.

Anecdote: In 1978 I went to a rendering facility in England (glue factory) that
made hide & hoof glues, and that was going out of business. The proprietor
showed me an old ledger dating back over a hundred years that had all their
customers' recipes. They mixed the glue to order for each trade shop and kept
the formulas secret. I would have liked to have that book, or copy it, but they
were keeping it in the family and he only showed me a couple of pages.

The binders added more hoof for "Scotch" glue for laminating boards, and more
hide for "flexible glue" for spines, and they all had other ingredients to make
the tack,  slip, working time, and other factors whatever they liked for the way
they worked.   It's easy to understand why they kept their formulas secret. If
you had a glue that made the work go faster and come out better, it gave a
competitive edge.

--

 Richard
 http://www.minsky.com