Re: fish glue and adhesives

     Few binders I know use one kind of adhesive.  I have heard that the problem
with fish glue (aside from cats) is that it tends to lose flexibility over time, but
there are lots of places on a book where bending is not required.  As to strength,
if it is the glue alone that is holding the binding together, perhaps it is not such
a good binding.   I usually adhere pastedowns in case bindings with plain methyl
cellulose, thick, but plain.  I do, however, if it is a thick/heavy book dot a bit
of  PVA mix over the mull flaps before I close the case on it.  I know some people
who use straight PVA for this.  As far as I know, none of my pastedowns have
lifted.  I, however, have lifted them again myself once or twice for various
reasons, and was glad I had used methyl instead of mix when I had to do it.
   There are, in short, a variety of adhesives out there to use, and myriad reasons
to pick one over the others for a particular use.
  Dorothy