Re: adhesives for collage

--- katgra@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
>With all this talk of various adhesives I am curious what is most recommended
>for collage, mostly utilizing printed magazine paper. I have seen various
>adhesives get brittle and break, and others bleed through and change color
>over time. Any suggestions?
--- end of quote ---

Kat,

I use a medium thick methylcellulose (shampoo consistency).

Coat the paper you are going to collage onto and let it soak in.  Then coat each
side of each piece your going to applique and build up the layers.  The
methylcel dries slowly, so if you have to lift up something after putting down a
couple other pieces you can.  And if you have to get that hand (from one image)
grasping onto that bunch of carrots (from another image) you can lift and
manipulate the paper to do what you want it to.

After you are done, let if dry until its just about like a dried apple (limp
with a bit of moisture still in it).  Press between some hollytex (or any loose
spun non-stick cloth) and blotters to take out the rest of the moisture and
press it flat.  The methylcel dries clear so you hardly know its there.  Just be
careful doing glossy paperstock, since methylcel doesn't do well with those
types of paper.

For an example, see my artists book "A Box Containing Dreams."  (Yep, a
shameless plug :-)
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ealstrom/bookworks/gallery/abcbook.shtml

Eric

 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH