Re: Weird titles and repair

Dorothy,

What do you mean by "spent wheat paste?"  Would that be paste that is old,
just going bad?

>   On a more serious note, I would also be interested in any tips people
>care to share about dealing with this sort of item.  I start off with a
>contribution of my own.  I have found that the best adhesive for paper
>repairs to newsprint type paper is spent wheat paste mixed with thick methyl
>cellulose.
>      Dorothy A.

Before I work on newsprint type paper, I spray the page with a fabric
finish, such as Faultless Sizing I buy at the grocery store.  I'm sure it's
methylcellulose in a spray can. Any brand of fabric finish would work.

Before the paper (or page if it's still in the book) dries, I cover it with
a sheet of clean paper, or silicon release paper , and iron it with a warm
tacking or flat iron.  It restores body to the paper and gives it strength.
For taking out the crease in dog-eared pages, I spray a little fabric
finish into a small container,  "paint" the crease with a small water color
brush, iron it and, voila, it's gone.

Betty
Betty Storz
Bookbinding, repair, restoration