Fish Glue

I'm curious why anyone would prefer to use fish glue (made by boiling the
skins of fish) rather than the best gelatin and various synthetics now
available.
Fish glue tends to form brittle films, is (at least) slightly acidic, and I
think that attempts to adjust it's pH make it yet more brittle.
Historically, I think it was used chiefly for making up cloth cases and
tipping in plates, and in both instances has often proven detrimental to the
materials involved.
Wasn't it isinglass, a product made from the swimming bladders of sturgeon,
which was used as a paper size?
Certainly, isinglass was at least sometimes used as an additive in the
manufacture of fish glue, but they are very different materials. Best
James