Re: week-long workshops?

> Suggestions of good centers, workshops that I should consider?

I also want to take a week long workshop this year and have done some research on what's available.  Here's some of the interesting classes that I found in addition to the ones mentioned at Penland and PBI. I'm not affiliated with any classes, so they may all be full for all I know, but these are the ones that I was found exciting.

Sas Colby is teaching three classes in California and Taos this summer. They are Pacific Reach: Where Headland Meets The Heartland with Poet Christine Hemp April 14-19, 2002 | Tomales Bay, CA :  Artists Books from the Inside Out, July 1-5, 2002 | Taos, NM:   The Joy of Making, July 28-August 2, 2002 | Taos, NM . Sas' web address is http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sascolby/workshop.html

Hedi Kyle is teaching "The Voluminous Page: Fine Art Bookmaking" June 3-14 at Anderson Ranch in Snowmass, Colorado.  The web address is www.andersonranch.org

Laurie Doctor is teaching two classes: Igniting Imagination: The Making of an Art Book, A conference at St.John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota, June 22-29, 2002  and
Write Upon Tablets Two week long workshops at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico February 2 - 8, 2002 and May 18 - 24, 2002 . Laurie's web address is www.lauriedoctor.com.

There are two interesting one or two-week class at Oxbow (run by The School of the Art Institute in Chicago.)  They have book structures and lithography  in late June and book structures and painting/drawing waterbased in July. Sound like you can take just one week or two.  They have a very difficult web site to navigate, but you can download PDFs with the schedules at:
http://www.artic.edu/saic/new/cschedules/index.html#oxbow

A class that is coming up very soon (and I have no idea if it's even possible to get into this at this late date) is at Art Workshops in Guatemala.  FEBRUARY 28 - MARCH 9 2002 Paste Papermaking and Book Arts with Barbara Broff Goldman in Antigua Guatemala.  Their web site is www.artguat.org. I mention this here even though the date is so late because I love the Art Workshops in Guatemala program and they have lots of
other related classes in the future. Liz Fourre runs the workshops program and does a terrific job. I took a class there two or three years ago and loved the school. We did our work in the courtyard of a beautiful old colonial home and La Antigua is an enchanting town.  More than that, the week was an incredible cultural experience exploring Central America.

I'd love to hear of any other workshops anyone else may know of. I still haven't decided which I'm going to take.

Happy Booking,

Laura