resources for handmade book

hello,

I'm working on a book as a gift to a friend.  the text will be typed, not
handwritten.  I would like to print the text on high-quality paper and bind
it in cloth (not leather).  I know exactly what I'd like the book to look
like.  It is about violets, so I'd like a purple cover with a textured design
and then endpapers with violets on them.  Does anyone have any suggestions
for the following:

1 - finding resources.  I live near DC and I've been on the phone
with/visited a couple of places.  They have beautiful items, but not exactly
what I want.  Is there a store or book arts museum someone can recommend?

2 - learning how to bind the book; I've never taken any courses in this.

3 - suggestions for the paper.  This is going to be about 250 pages, so I
can't afford paper that costs 1.00 per page.  If there are any
recommendations on high-quality paper that is less expensive, I'd appreciate
it.

also, are there any good online resources?

thanks,

Mary Katherine Powers