Re: Help with formatting

Hello:

I've used QuarkXPress a few times to print signatures for books. There's really no
trick to having the program do it for you. I simply had to "do the math" myself in
terms of organizing the facing pages for printing on two sides. If you're familiar
with Quark's Document Layout Palette, the facing pages (of a 3-sheet signature, in
this case) were organized something like this:

(side 1):

page 12    page 1

page 2    page 11

page 10    page 3

(side 2):

page 4    page 9

page 8    page 5

page 6    page 7

I then "hand-printed" the signatures: first set of 3 facing-pages printed on one
side of a sheet, second set of 3 printed on the other side of the same sheet by
running it through the printer a second time. Repeat this pattern for each following
signature of document/book....

Also, there are plug-ins for QuarkXPress which make this kind of signature printing
easier, but I think you need to be running at least Quark 4.0. Check
http://www.quark.com for links to and info about these kinds of plug-ins. Some are
developed by third-parties and often have a price-tag attached.

Another package I know of but have not used is called Framemaker. From what I
understand it's a bit of standard for Technical Writers. My sense is that its
book/long-document organizing capabilities are much more developed than Quark's.
I've not used the package, though.

Cal Smith
Thinker Publications