Re: Helf with Formatting

Hello:

I've used QuarkXPress a few times to print signatures for books. There's
really no
trick to having the program do it for you. I simply had to "do the math"
myself in
terms of organizing the facing pages for printing on two sides. If you're familiar
with Quark's Document Layout Palette, the facing pages (of a 3-sheet
signature, in
this case) were organized something like this:

(side 1):

page 12    page 1

page 2    page 11

page 10    page 3

(side 2):

page 4    page 9

page 8    page 5

page 6    page 7

I then "hand-printed" the signatures: first set of 3 facing-pages printed on one
side of a sheet, second set of 3 printed on the other side of the same sheet by
running it through the printer a second time. Repeat this pattern for each following
signature of document/book....

Also, there are plug-ins for QuarkXPress which make this kind of signature printing
easier, but I think you need to be running at least Quark 4.0. Check
http://www.quark.com for links to and info about these kinds of plug-ins. Some are
developed by third-parties and often have a price-tag attached.

Another package I know of but have not used is called Framemaker. From what I
understand it's a bit of standard for Technical Writers. My sense is that its
book/long-document organizing capabilities are much more developed than Quark's.
I've not used the package, though.

Cal Smith
Thinker Publications

This is a better way to do it than to rely on imposition programs though it is
a pain in the...

I have a duplexor on my laser printer and it spins this stuff out quite fast
though you do have to make an adjustment to every other page to ensure
registration is exact. I use PageMaker. I also adjust for creep every four
sheets or so, a thirty-second of an inch. Prior to the duplexor I did run them
exactly as you say but I would weight and turn them for a day or so before
doing so to avoid jamming. Been doing catalogs and such for almost a decade
now this way and it gives you exacting control. Almost pointless to ship this
stuff out and then be confronted with the less than.

Just for fun and because it is sitting in front of me here a sequence for a
fifty page single section book that also allows the paper to lie flat with
smooth side facing smooth side rough side facing rough side in open spreads

1,26
25,2
3,24
23,4
5,22
21,6
7,20
19,8
9,18
17,10
11,16
15,12
13,14

I also am very careful to let my paper go through a serious of adjustments.
Weighting it at stages over a series of days, turning it and re-weighting it,
at every stage during folding, collation, pamphlet sewing, trimming. So that I
can actually print a fifty page book in one section that lies perfectly flat!!!

Gerald