From: Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.philobiblon.com
[mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Automatic digest
processor
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 9:15 PM
To: Recipients of BOOK_ARTS-L digests
Subject: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 10 Feb 2002 to 11 Feb 2002 (#2002-41)

Topics of the day:

  1. Help with formatting (2)
  2. (OT) Police hunt library book syrup vandal
  3. Fwd: Help for Library, University of Asmara
  4. Bishop Lecture information (fwd)
  5. New Web Site
  6. fine printing at Smith College
  7. paste brushes (4)
  8. URL for BookMakers catalog

Date:    Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:25:12 +0100
From:    Cal Smith <cals@INTERSTROOM.NL>
Subject: Re: Help with formatting

Hello:

I've used QuarkXPress a few times to print signatures for books. There's
really no
trick to having the program do it for you. I simply had to "do the math"
myself in
terms of organizing the facing pages for printing on two sides. If
you're familiar
with Quark's Document Layout Palette, the facing pages (of a 3-sheet
signature, in
this case) were organized something like this:

(side 1):

page 12    page 1

page 2    page 11

page 10    page 3

(side 2):

page 4    page 9

page 8    page 5

page 6    page 7

I then "hand-printed" the signatures: first set of 3 facing-pages
printed on one
side of a sheet, second set of 3 printed on the other side of the same
sheet by
running it through the printer a second time. Repeat this pattern for
each following
signature of document/book....

Also, there are plug-ins for QuarkXPress which make this kind of
signature printing
easier, but I think you need to be running at least Quark 4.0. Check
http://www.quark.com for links to and info about these kinds of
plug-ins. Some are
developed by third-parties and often have a price-tag attached.

Another package I know of but have not used is called Framemaker. From
what I
understand it's a bit of standard for Technical Writers. My sense is
that its
book/long-document organizing capabilities are much more developed than
Quark's.
I've not used the package, though.

Cal Smith
Thinker Publications