Bottling - A bookbinding term?

<!-- Apologies for cross-posting -->

I received a query from my old "master" in regards to two bookbinding
expressions.

The first was "bottling," a term which I couldn't find in the Etherington
book cited below, Cockrell, and several other old English bookbinding
manuals... No context was given, and I've asked for some since. If anyone
can help, I'd be greatly appreciative.

The second, shingling was easy to answer via Don Etherington's "Bookbinding
and the Conservation of books:  A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology"
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/don.html>.

Many thanks,

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen