litho stone storage

This is printing related as opposed to binding, but I was hoping there were
a couple of printers out there who would have the answer.

Lots of old litho stones contain right reading images on them, which I had
always understood to be stored images - kind of a Barney Rubble style of
filing system. The ones I've seen contain business forms - letterhead,
invoices, things that would need to be printed over and over. The images
were inked, transfered to aluminum plates then the thin aluminum plates
(with the image now reversed), were processed and run through the litho
press on a stone backer.

While I was explaining this to someone I realized I wasn't sure I knew what
I was talking about. Why use the cumbersome stone to store the image instead
of just a thin aluminum plate?

Thanks for any info,
Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon