18th Century Bindings Question

Hi, folks. We are looking into the possibility of using a
period-appropriate hand bound book in lieu of exhibit labels for a portion
of our exhibit "Gatherin' Together: Scotch-Irish Lifeways in the Carolina
Piedmont 1740-1820". This will be a cabin home with part of the floor and
hearth extending beyond the barrier so visitors may sit on a bench and feel
as though they are really inside the home, browsing through a ledger of
sorts. My question is, what kind of binding would be appropriate? The text
will be hand written in copperplate, a la Bickham (in my dreams!) on hand
made paper. If I could get away with a marbled paper cover, I could cobble
it together myself. If not, we're looking at contracting out. Any
information will be cheerfully welcomed.
Thanks,
Anne

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
York County Culture & Heritage Commission
4621 Mount Gallant Road
Rock Hill SC 29732-8666
803-329-2121, ext. 104
Fax 803-329-5249