Re: litho stone storage

> Lots of old litho stones contain right reading images on them, which I
had
> always understood to be stored images - kind of a Barney Rubble style
of
> filing system. The ones I've seen contain business forms - letterhead,

> invoices, things that would need to be printed over and over. The
images
> were inked, transfered to aluminum plates then the thin aluminum
plates
> (with the image now reversed), were processed and run through the
litho
> press on a stone backer.

It's my understanding that storage on stone predates aluminum plates.
Early printing establishments did not have aluminum.  Stones were the
only way to store images, and they transferred from stone to stone.
There really isn't a reason that aluminum wouldn't work for storage, but
in wasn't an option years ago.

Becky Schnelker