Re: sources for specially-grained goatskin

>From: Coriander Reisbord <creisbord@HOTMAIL.COM>
>To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: sources for specially-grained goatskin
>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:12:44 -0500

>Does anybody know of a US retailer from whom I could order
>specially-grained
>(i.e., straight grain, pigskin, etc) goatskins BUT who doesn't get those
>skins from Hewit in England? I ordered a custom skin from Hewit (through
>Bookmakers) in the middle of November and was told to expect a
>four-to-six-week wait, but alas! So far, no goatskin, and no info as to
>when
>it might arrive. I've got a seriously pissed-off customer. It's too late
>for
>me to turn to another vendor this time, but I'd like have an alternative
>for
>the future. Any reliable sources out there? Thanks, Cory

Hi Cory,
   Even though they're not US, you might try Shepherds
in London (order a catalogue  via shepherds@bookbinding.co.uk)--
they sell French straight-grain goat and some very user-friendly
Brazilian vellums..
   I'd like to toss in a good word about Hewit's---I find them
to be superior in service, speed AND price (even considering
customs and shipping!); if I place orders to Hewit's and Talas
on the same day, I usually get Hewit's first.
   Perhaps the holdup is using Bookmakers as a proxy?
Bill Cotter
Milou Bookbinding & Conservation
927 East 46th St. # 202
Austin, TX   78751