announcing the Victor Hammer Fellowship in the Book Arts 2002-2004

The Book Arts Center at Wells College announces the third two-year Victor
Hammer Fellowship in the Book Arts for the years 2002-2004. The Victor
Hammer Fellowship was founded in 1998 to provide further education for
students in the history and practice of the book arts.

W E L L S   C O L L E G E   &
T H E   B O O K   A R T S   C E N T E R

Wells College, established in 1868 by Henry Wells, founder of Wells Fargo &
American Express, is a four-year college for women offering a complete
liberal arts curriculum. The college is located on a 360-acre campus on the
eastern shore of Cayuga Lake in New York's beautiful Finger Lakes region.

The Book Arts Center consists of the Wells College Press & the Class of '32
Bindery. Victor Hammer, a legendary practitioner of painting, sculpture,
architecture & printing, established the Wells College Press in 1941. His
most important work in printing and type design was done during his time at
Wells. The Class of '32 Bindery was a generous gift of the Class of '32 and
operates as a fully equipped classroom for binding.

F E L L O W S H I P   R E S P O N S I B I L I T I E S

The Hammer Fellow will teach an introductory course in letterpress printing
each semester and design & print projects for the college. The Fellow will
also assist in organizing an upcoming symposium.  The Hammer Fellowship
includes an internship at the Press & Letterfoundry of Michael & Winifred
Bixler in Skaneateles, New York. The Fellow is also expected to produce a
portfolio of new work of his or her own, copies of which will be included in
the Center's permanent collection.

F E L L O W S H I P   S T I P E N D

The stipend is $24,000 for each of the two years covering the period August
15, 2002 through July 31, 2004. Health and life insurance are available
through the college.

C A N D I D A T E   Q U A L I F I C A T I O N S

Candidates are expected to have a range of skills in the book arts and an
advanced degree in a related field. Experience in teaching aspects of the
book is preferred.

A P P L I C A T I O N

Candidates should submit a current resume detailing education, related work
experience, three letters of recommendation, and a brief statement
concerning career objectives to:

Victor Hammer Fellowship Search
Office of the Dean
Wells College
Aurora, New York 13026
315-364-3241

Applications are due April 1, 2002. Finalists will be asked to submit a
portfolio of work. Notification of the award will be May 30, 2002.

Wells College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please contact the
Book Arts Center at 315-364-3420 or bookartscenter@wells.edu

--

Wells Book Arts Center
Wells College