scrap book repair

I've been given some scrap books to work on and am seeking the communal wisdom.
They are from the 1930s and 1940s filled with Michigan beer and wine labels (they are very cool). The labels appear to have been attached with something that resembles rubber cement - it dries up, turns brown and no longer adheres. As these are government documents, and we are a state library, these books do need to be available to the public "in some form".
My thought for a solution was to use wheat paste to re-attach these labels to new sheets of acid free paper. I would then provide the public with bound color copies of these sheets. I imagine it might be better to hinge in the labels with japanese paper and paste, but I've got 4 books and a lot of labels.

Any suggestions.

Kevin Driedger
Lansing, Michigan