Re: Books from Single Sheets of Paper

Nicole...

I don't believe there are any books that cover this subject in any sort of
detail.
IF...you're interested in creating your own....there are a number of books
that...suggest...what can be done, but, again, none give enough info on the
subject
to really explore it in a thorough way.  Flexigons and rotating rings
(donuts,
kaleidocycles, etc.), are also possibilities for one-sheet books, and a few
books
do exsist on these, but I won't go there.
  A good source for geometric grids and unusual repeating patterns can be
found,
possibly in the mathematics section in a large bookstore, or more probably
in a math
library at a college or university. Look under the subject "tesselations" or

"tesselating patterns".In the summer 1997 I spent 2 days in a math library
at
the University of Kansas digging up anything that could be applied to books,
paper
folding ,etc. and came up with a lot! Also its possible to include
fold-outs,
simple pop-ups, spines, front and backcovers (with thickness), wraps and
tuck-in
flaps, all worked into the pattern...ON...one sheet, but if you add all of
these....
...you lose space for pages and so the larger the sheet you need! The first
one I
worked out was (26) pages with spine, covers and a flap...it took about 2
hours to
figure it all out...time being spent on spine, covers and flap folding
together into
one unit that attatches to the pages without all of it unraveling. The
unfolded sheet
size was about (20" x 24"), page size (3" x 3 1/2"), book size with rounded
spine
(3 1/2" x 3 1/2").
  Another source are books on origami (folding things with one sheet of
paper, without
cutting or gluing)....basiclly primers for folding paper....can be a good
source of info.
A few will have models for books...not many though. Most don't translate
very well to a
larger size (more detail is needed as it gets larger) and that...no cutting
part...really
limits things. Also, most origami models consist of a number of combinded
folds and
require THIN, foldable paper.

Hope this is of use to someone......

Chris