Re: Bottling - Found it...

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:BOOK_ARTS->L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Richard Minsky
>Peter, I'm a bit confused by this. If this issue is:
>
>"The process of skewing pages to compensate for paper thickness as it is
>folded.:
>
>Then "Vertical allowance for plate bend" doesn't seem to relate to this.
>I don't understand where "plate bend" comes into this. Can someone
elucidate?

I understood this to be what happens on presses where the printing plate is
on the circumference of a cylinder. Taking a flat plate (regardless of the
material) and curving it to fit the cylinder would stretch the printing
image in one direction.

Although what this has to do with the other concepts is not clear.

On the other hand this would not be the first time that a single term has
acquired multiple meanings in a craft. In our own business we run into
"sizing" having three distinct meanings (sealing waterleaf to reduce
absorptivity, pre-treating paper to improve colour retention prior to
marbling, the base liquid in the tray when doing western marbling). All
three meanings can be given a convincing etymological connection but they
definitely refer to different concepts.
-Kevin Martin
 the Papertrail