Re: Hewlett Packard printers

Martha-

The significant difference with Epson inkjets is that they use a
print head technology that results in a permanent print head. HPs and
other printers replace everything when the ink is replaced. With
Epsons, what the ink squirts out of stays put in the printer, only
the ink reservoir is replaced. This opens up the possibility of
making and using a variety of inks without having to manufacture
print heads, something beyond the capabilities of anyone short of
large electronics manufacturers. Thus most of the innovation with
these printers seems to be centered around Epson. The market, mainly
photographers,  for permanent high quality inkjet printing is
definitely a niche market, of little interest to the manufacturers of
what are essentially cheap mass market devices.

The biggest advantage of the Epsons for book makers is that you can
get the price per page way down by buying bulk ink from third
parties, and that you have some choice as to the qualities of that
ink.

A.

--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design