Re: Hewlett Packard printers

I agree that Epson printers are of high quality but just remember that the
Epson printers (many of them anyway) have "chipped" cartriges the so called
"smart chip" which will not allow you to refill cartriges. The point being
that you have to buy new , and in my opinion overpriced OEM cartriges every
time you run out of ink. Actually the "smart chip" is just a dumb digital
counter which won't let you print when the ink or one of the colors gets below
a certain point. Usually (from what I hear ) there is still 10-15% of the ink
left when the program says empty. I bought an Epson Stylus Color 777 not
knowing this. There are a couple of workarounds for this though found at pages

http://www.inklevel.cjb.net/

or

http://www.ink-refills.com/chip.htm

I personally use the "butterknife" method described above, basically
installing a new cartrige normally which "resets" the program then by either
removing the cover or releasing the carrige using a knife to release the catch
underneath, carefully pulling the carrige out of its "home" position to the
center and then replacing the new cart with the old (refilled) then gently
pushing the carrige back to home position.

Then there is a resetter which I may get that resets the levels of the
catriges themselves which seem pretty simple. I have included one vendor of
resetters above.
Like I said they are high quality printers maybe the best on the market right
now, its just that one nagging issue which creates the headaches. I use third
party inks to save huge dollars and because the inks I get are of higher
quality than the Epson OEM product which is not archival and subject to the
orange shift (fading)that is known to occur with some OEM inks

 http://www.inklevel.cjb.net/

Hope this helps
Todd S Reynolds
tsreynol@prodigy.net