Re: Cutting Davey Binders Board

Cherie,

Since you are just starting your bookbinding career, you should seriously
consider getting a board shears. I have never had space for such equipment
and have been cutting board with a mat knife or taking it to a printshop
where they don't mind doing it for me when their blade is ready to be
sharpened.

I need 2 boards for a heavy book, 14" x 9". For strength and to prevent
warping, I wanted to ply the boards, .059 vertical grain on the outside,
with .082 cross grain in between. The printer suggested I laminate it at
home, oversize, for them to cut to size.  So yesterday, I rough cut with
the mat knife six pieces of .059 and two of .082 Red Label Davey board.
This morning I have a very sore hand.

The Gold Label Davey Board, which was not supposed to have any metal
flecks, has been discontinued. I don't know if Oliner, mentioned yesterday
by Gary Hillerson, has a retail outlet for their Platinum board. Does
anyone know of a comparable substitute anywhere, preferably out west?

At 05:48 AM 2/21/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Dear Book Arts List members:
>
>I am new to bookbinding, and am about to order some Davey Binders Board
>(.082 thickness) for several projects.  I have laid out cutting patterns for
>13" x 19" sheets and am planning to order these cuts from the board
>supplier.  I bet, however, that once the pieces arrive, I will find that I
>have left something out or miscalculated somewhere, and I will have to make
>some cuts myself.  I have a high quality Dahle guillotine paper cutter, but
>am hesitant to use it for board if that would somehow ruin it for paper.
>Are there cutters designed specifically for board that are not exorbitantly
>expensive?  Or is it better to plan for cutting with a knife?
>
>Thank you very much for advice in this area.
>
>Cherie Fisk

Betty Storz
Bookbinding, repair, restoration
PO Box 542              storz@mcn.org