on pasta

Many thanks for all the great information both on and off list about the
Spanish books here at the Jaffe Collection. One thing I have learnt is to
not suppress information that one thinks may be unnecessary. James Tapley
hit the nail on the head with his posting about the further definitions of
pasta. The card that was found inside the book actually describes what
James was talking about, but I thought it translated to the book being
Spanish, from the 18th century. Here are the actual words:

        Encuadernacion en Pasta
        Espanola del Siglo XVIII.

But apparently then it's "Pasta Espanola." Ahhh. I'm afraid my Spanish
skills don't extend much past the menu at Havana Restaurant, home of the
"Best Cuban Food in Town." James, Richard, everyone: thank you immensely
for all the insight.

John Cutrone
The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection

~~~~~~~~~

Quoting from AN ALBUM OF HISTORIC BOOKBINDINGS, Clara Louisa Penney, The
Hispanic Society of America 1967: PASTA, thin leather painted or sprinkled in
colors, then drawn over waste papers pasted together.

This latter I believe pertains to book boards made by laminating waste sheet.
PASTA is further defined as:
ESPANOLA, in grayish or brown colors;
BARCELONESA, in reddish and black;
VALENCIANA, in pinkish color.

Penney illustrates the term with two bindings illustrated in black and white;
one is a traditional tree marble, the other a tree marble with only
"branches" on the boards, beginning at the foredge and thinning towards the
spine.

Hope that this helps.

James Tapley Hand Bookbinder
2077 Thirteenth Street