Re: Tipping In

For the adhesive:
I would mix 2 parts of PVA with one part of stiff methyl cellulose (5 % solution).

The set-up:
Use a very stiff natural bristle brush with short fibers.  I like a one half-inch flat or filbert brush.

Position and open book so that when you lift the tipped page you can just swivel your body and immediately place it into position.  (Don't waste time (read: greater cockling potential) messing with getting the book in place after the page is wetted with adhesive!)

Place a piece of waxed paper in the gutter behind the stub you are tipping onto.

Place letter to be tipped face down on a sheet of scrap paper.  Place a second (larger) sheet of scrap over the sheet to be tipped, exposing only 1/16 - 1/8 of the edge to be glued.

The technique:
Don't load the brush with adhesive!  Do some practice runs on sheets that are the same size to figure out how much adhesive you need.  You want as little as possible. This will eliminate some of the cockling.

Start in the center of the exposed area, brush with one long quick stroke to off the bottom end.  Go back to the pool of adhesive in the middle (don't re-dip the brush -- trust me, you have enough!), and now brush with one long quick stroke to off the top.  Do it swiftly, firmly -- you aren't "painting."

Brush glue stroking away from the top waste sheet.  Remove top scrap. Discard.
Position glued sheet in gutter of textblock.  Align top and bottom edges evenly with other leaves of textblock.

Bone down. Place another waxed paper on top. Close book. Put in press or under heavy weight 'til dry.

You can do multiple pages at a time if you put a blotter sheet in between each waxed paper sandwich to absorb some of the moisture, but the more wet pages you do at once, the longer it takes to dry and the more it will cockle.

Hope this helps,
Ann

Bob Roberts wrote:

> I've bound a blank book; 400 pages of Finch Natural Vellum, a lightweight text paper. I then cut every other page out roughly 1/2" from the spine, leaving a solid spine, but room to tip in 200 letters. Experiments with the materials leave me troubled that wheatpaste (my preferred tipping adhesive) causes the letters to swell, and to swell wavily because of the grain direction. I'd like another solution that remains long-lasting in all the right ways but that is less moist.
>
> Any great ideas? "Reversible" PVA? Every page pressed? (Awkward with the foredge starting out 200 pages narrower than the spine)

Ann Frellsen
Collections Conservator
Preservation Office,  Woodruff Library, Rm. 127
Emory University Libraries
Atlanta, GA  30322-2870
phone: 404-727-0307         FAX  404-727-0053
http://info.library.emory.edu/preservation