TEA TONING SURVEY

<!-- Apologies for cross-posting. Please respond directly to Georgia
Southworth at <southworthgeorgia@hotmail.com> -->

I am presently a graduate book and paper conservation student, conducting
research into the practice and longevity of using tea toned repair papers
and sewing threads. Though tea toning, to blend with older materials or to
reduce the starkness of new repairs, is certainly practised, very little
documentation, and even less literature, seems to exist surrounding its
use. My interests lie in determining the level of use, and measuring the
long-term strength of papers and sewing threads treated with standard tea.
This research will include the advanced ageing and strength testing of
samples from a variety of papers and threads, in hopes of gaining a better
understanding of the effects of time and environment on materials thus treated.

I would be most grateful if those who find it relevant, would be willing to
spend a couple of minutes to fill out the brief survey form below. I'd very
much appreciate your help in gathering a general idea of whether, and in
what manner, tea is used for toning within the realms of bookbinding,
restoration, and conservation. Having had very little luck finding anything
published about the topic, I'd welcome literature references, should you be
familiar with any.

Please return this survey directly to MY email address, and not to the
List, to avoid any unnecessary congestion. Many thanks in advance,

Georgia Southworth
68c East Dulwich Grove
London SE22 8PS
southworthgeorgia@hotmail.com

TEA TONING SURVEY

1. Have you used or encountered standard tea as a toning agent for repair
papers?  Y__   N__

2. Have you used or encountered standard tea as a toning agent for sewing
threads?  Y__  N__

IF NO, SKIP TO QUESTION 7

3. Was the use of tea as a toning agent documented in anyway?  Y__  N__

4. Was the brand of tea recorded?  Y__  N__

5. Though difficult to quantify, was the concentration of tea strength
recorded?  Y__  N__

6. Was the use of tea as a toning agent chosen consciously over the use of
other toning methods?
     Y__  N__  Why?

7. What properties about tea toning attract its use?