Re: websites

Hi, Helen,

For the last few years my website (http://home.teleport.com/~tcl) is the
only advertising I've done for books (The Caber Press) and videotapes
(Istor Productions) that I've produced.

I don't accept plastic because the volume of orders would not repay the
cost of setting up such an account.

That said, the website/email account costs me less than $200/yr. and
sales run somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple thousand dollars/yr.

If I wanted to run around doing workshops and flogging the product it would
be much more, but my main business, conservation of rare books and art on
paper, does well enough that the website is gravy and more than pays for
itself.

I do mention specific titles when a question comes up on one or another of
the lists I subscribe to (like this one tonight) and that helps to get the
word out.

The title for tonight is: _Medieval Bookbinding_ by M. Mauris, originally
published as an illustrated article in _The Art Journal_ New Series, No.
40.  April, 1878. 15 p. illus.

I reprinted it a couple of weeks ago.  Cost, $4.95 + $1.50 P&H.  Cash, check
or money order only, please.... :)

If I set up a credit card account business would increase somewhat, but to
date there have been only 8-10 people/yr who ask if they can purchase via
plastic.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick