Re: websites

I look at a website as one more tool that helps get word out about what
you're doing. The Red Wagon website's been up and running some four years
now, and yes, it definitely generates business, but rarely by itself. The
business it brings mostly involves some legwork ahead of it, whether it be
via announcements, mailings, advertisements. If folks don't know about the
website, they'll have a hard time finding it.

We accept credit cards, set up as a merchant account with our bank. There
are fees involved (about 3% of each sale, in our case), of course, and
monthly minimums (about $15 in fees, in our case), and there are some
months in this quirky business that we don't even reach those minimums. But
if you hold occasional in-house events, you'll definitely want to accept
credit cards. Take it from someone who rarely has more than five bucks in
his pocket. You'll miss a lot of potential sales if you don't offer the
flexibility of the credit card.

Don't forget there is a gigantic wave of young folks out there who have
never experienced life without a computer in the house. These are the same
people who can't quite figure how vinyl records work. When they want
information, they go to the web.

John Cutrone
Red Wagon Bookworks
http://www.redwagonbookworks.com
which is definitely in need of updating!