Re: websites

I think a website is a great place to allow customers to order items you are
promoting in other mediums. In your case Helen, radio interviews, tv spots,
magazine articles and your books can all point to your website to accomodate
people who already know they want to buy.

Using your website as the front for the business is another thing. In my
experience, which is different, as I'm selling more of a custom service than
a line of products, enticing the browser to contact me personally is key to
closing a deal. One of the mistakes I think people make is listing so much
pricing information that the client is able to disqualify you on price
without ever calling and letting you tell them why your product/service is
worth it. Backing this up, the average level of phone skills for small
businesses is so atrocious that by having good phone skills, you can really
distinguish yourself.

I would recommend getting your own domain instead of going through a 'free
website' provider. It adds legitimacy to your business and allows you to
easily convey the address orally and on printed pieces. It is well worth the
cost.

If you send a link to your new site to this list and ask for feedback, you
will get tons of helpful tips on how to make it more user friendly for all
platforms and browsers.

with best wishes,
Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon