Selling to Collections

Hi All,

I travel a lot and my goal for the year is to approach at least one special
collection department at a library or other collection on each trip as a way
to hopefully sell my fine bound artist books.

My question is: What is the best way to approach these collections with my
sales pitch? Do they want to see other work, a portfolio, resume, artist
statements, etc.? I'm assuming I should call for an appointment. Is it
better to mail info first? What kind of response can I expect?

Does this approach even work at all?

Thanks for all your great info!

Kevin Thomas