Re: PVA Glue

PVA's have pretty much replaced hotmelts in perfect binding, but you
should be aware there are two kinds of PVA'a. The older PVA's dried by
absorption and evaporation of the solvents therein, many binders had
Infra Red driers on the clamps to aid in setting the adhesive. A new
technology uses UltraViolet lamps on the clamps to set the PVA and this
allows the binder to run faster. UV-PVA's are intended for use on 9
clamp and larger binders.

The older PVA's are easily loostened with steaming, but the newer UV
setting PVA's set not only more flexable thean the traditional PVA's,
but set waterproof and cannot be steamed appart.

MayKitten
--- Cherie Fisk <Cherie.Fisk@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote:

> Considering the different types of PVA glue, is
> PVA (Jade 403) considered one of the better archival types?
>
> Cherie Fisk
>

> >Date:    Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:44:10 -0600
> >From:    Greg <71514.3705@COMPUSERVE.COM>
> >Subject: Re: PVA glues and archival

> >Dear Cal:
>
> >I offer a little bit of info regarding Polyvinyl Acetate Adhesive
> >(PVA) from a bookbinding prospective.
>
> >Some are better, in an archival sense, than others.
>
> >Specifically, these would be "emulsion copolymers of internally
> >plasticized polyvinyl acetate adhesives that are flexible and will
> >not cross link after long term aging". Most of these types of
> >adhesives are considered non acidic or pH neutral.

> book_arts-l>

=====
Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

>From the book, Charge of the Goddess