Re: [BOOK_ARTS-L] Antique Photo Album Help

Steve,

I'm working right now on an identical construction - except the album is
new. The pages, of Arches cover (black) are matted to hold prints of chairs
the client has designed. The book is large, 12 x 15, about an inch thick.
Since the paper is stiff, I am using double guards that are hinged and
pasted 1/4" onto the pages. My plan is to make the guards of matching black
Japanese bookcloth, paperbacked. If anyone has had experience with this
material delaminating with use, please let me know while there is still
time to use another stronger material.

The book will be quarter-bound, dark brown calf spine and natural
paperbacked linen sides.

Steven, I will be pasting the cloth to both sides of the stubs. I never
questioned the procedure, following instructions for this binding in
Lsurence Town's "Bookbinding by Hand."

Good luck,
Betty

8:01 PM 3/25/02 EST, you wrote:

>Hi,  I've agreed to help somebody partially save an old antique photo album.
>It's a once beautiful album sitting on top of an old music box stand.  It is
>in horrible shape with the pages completely ripped from the hinges, the paper
>on the pages ripped off, and torn in all the wrong places.  I am NOT going to
>restore this album but I've agreed to help the person get the album so it at
>least holds the pages togather.  I don't think the album is worth a lot of
>money (because of it's condition) but it does have sentimental value to the
>person I'm helping.
>Saying all this, here's my question(s):  Since there's absolutely no cloth or
>any trace of hinges left, I'm going to have to make my own.  What's the best
>way to make a new hinge for an old album?  I'm thinking of using Kinnert as
>the hinge cloth, but do I glue the cloth to the outside of the page?  (The
>original had the cloth on the inside of the paper, but it's so brittle I'll
>never be able to lift it without damage).  The book's so bad, that I have the
>hinge "page stubs" in my left hand, while holding the pages in my right.  Is
>is acceptable to glue cloth to the outside of a page?  Any ideas that anyone
>would have would be greatly appreciated.
>Steve
>p.s.  I love this kind of stuff.  This is why I joined the list several years
>ago.

Betty Storz
Bookbinding, repair, restoration
PO Box 542              storz@mcn.org