[BKARTS] Craft Questions

PLEASE REPLY OFF LIST.

Dear List,

I am Design student at Carnegie Mellon University, and
I am doing a research project about craft.
Specifically, I am interested in the people who are
practicing crafts right now, their backgrounds, what
they studied, what they've done to get where they are,
and what makes their craft different (or not
different!) from art and design.

If you consider yourself an artist, craftsperson, or
designer, and you could take a few minutes to answer
some of the following questions, it would help me out
a lot! Please send responses off-list to
merovingian11@yahoo.com.

Thank you very much for your help!

Lisa Beiter
Communication Design
Carnegie Mellon University

---------------
Name:
Craft/Profession:
Would you mind being quoted? Y or N

1. Describe your education. What kind of training in
art or design did you get? Did you attend college?
Where? What was your major?

2. What were your career objectives post-college (or
post-highschool)? If they changed, at what point did
they change?

3. What kind of early jobs did you hold? Were they
related to art/design/craft?

4. Describe what you do for a living now.

5. In your opinion, what is the difference between
art, design, and craft?

6. What sort of skills are necessary for your craft?

7. Do you consider yourself a craftsperson? An artist?
A designer? A teacher? All of the above? None of the
above?

8. If you could change something about your career,
your early career path, or your education, what would
it be?

9. What would you say to other people considering your
craft as a career choice?

10. What makes your craft "contemporary"? How do you
think your craft will fare in the future? Is it slowly
fading out? Is it becoming stronger?