[BKARTS] japanese binding techniques for stiff paper?

Hello all!

I know that Japanese stab-binding techniques are best suited for thin papers, but has anyone found ways of adapting it to stiffer paper?  I'm working on a manuscript now that consists of maybe 7-8 sheets of fairly stiff paper with the fold at the fore-edge of the book block (in Japanese style).  I thought of just binding in the traditional way and then scoring the pages near the spine to facilitate opening the manuscript, but I don't know if that would work so well.

I really don't want to use a cheap spiral binding, so that's why I thought of stab-binding.  Any other ideas?  I'm really not accustomed to working with pages that have the fold at the fore-edge instead of the spine, so I'm a bit stumped.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...  :o)

Jackson

PS  I'm new here, so hello from New York City...