Re: [BKARTS] Inquiry Re Paste Paper

Hi Jayne - I've had good luck with acrylics, and don't use the expensive
(thicker) kinds. Student grade seems to work just fine, even the very thin,
very cheap Dick Blick acrylics. Because you mix it with some kind of paste
anyway (for ease of use in a classroom situation I have used Ross Art Paste
from Dick Blick, which is really just methly cellulose), the chipping off
factor isn't really a factor. If you are making your own wheat paste you
would normally add a little Ivory soap and a little glycerine to your paste,
both of which make the consistency better. Acrylic medium also mitigates
peeling and chipping by its very nature. A really good beginning-level paper,
cheap, large sheets and easy to manipulate is Art Print, but any index-weight
paper would do the trick. I have seen paste paper done on almost any surface
and weight of paper that you could paint on, i.e., Mohawk Superfine,
Hannemuhl Bugra and Ingres, Arches text wove, Strathmore, Rives lightweight
and heavyweight. The latter four papers are very soft and more absorbent so
proportionately more of the color winds up in the paper than on the surface.
Hope this helps. Barbara Harman