Re: [BKARTS] bookish quotes

I'm fond of these two quotes, both found in HOMAGE TO THE BOOK (Westvaco,
1968):

>From the poet Ben Jonson's EVERY MAN OUT OF HIS HUMOR (1600):

        Blest be the hour wherein I bought this book;
        His studies happy that composed the book,
        And the man fortunate that sold the book.

And from Charles W. Eliot's THE HAPPY LIFE (1896)

        Books are the quietest and most constant of friends;
        they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors,
        and the most patient of teachers.

 Jim Carmin                               Multnomah County Library
 John Wilson Room Librarian               801 SW Tenth Avenue
 Central Library                          Portland, OR 97205-2597
 jimc@multcolib.org                       503-988-6287
 http://www.multcolib.org/about/mcl-wilson.html