[BKARTS] French Bookbinding

Greeting,

I have spent some time searching the internet and this lists archives looking
for information on something I have heard referred to as french bookbinding but
have not found anything. What interests me in this style of bookbinding is that
the resulting books open flat, and the reason for interest in this is that I
want to be able to build my own sketch books with whatever type of paper I wish
to draw on. I have built a couple of books with a coptic binding, which works
just fine for my desire of a flat lying book but I would like to be able to
build a book with a closed spine. So the question of the moment is where would
I go to get information on french binding or any other that would suit my
purposes?

Thanks,
rj