Re: [BKARTS] board shear---(loop gauge)

on 6/5/02 7:08 AM, Nic Rayner at nic@GMCRO.U-NET.COM wrote:

> Stone Eye - An Exhibition of the Midwest Chapter, Guild of Book Workers
> For information about the exhibition, and to order your catalog, see
> <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/mwchap/specialevent2.shtml>
>
> We have a board shear, with a loop gauge that is adjusted by one wheel at
> the front of the shear, if it was out of true, it would have to be that it
> had jumped a tooth on the cogs. You would have to take the whole loop gauge
> apart and rebuild it square, if yours is something similar to ours. Hope it
> helps.
>
> Nic Rayner
>
> At 21:47 31/05/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>> Stone Eye - An Exhibition of the Midwest Chapter, Guild of Book Workers
>> For information about the exhibition, and to order your catalog, see
>> <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/mwchap/specialevent2.shtml>
>>
>> It's an old shear, and I have no idea who the manufacturer was.
>> A loop gauge is a hinged bar on the side of the blade away from the table.
>> It can be set to specific widths for cutting board.   It's a great
>> convenience to have (when it is parallel to the blade) for jobs that require
>> cutting pieces of two different widths:  the table can be set for one width
>> and the gauge for the other.

Not to step on anybody's toe here, but I've been around bookbinding for a
long time, also on a international level and I do enjoy it if we can
understand each other clearly.
If I'm not completely off the rocker, the attachment to the front of any
boardcutter, adjusted by wheel or other means is called a smallcutter.
As advertised in multiple fliers etc. I have on various manufacturers in my
collection.
Where did the word Loop gage came from?

Just curious!

charles