Re: [BKARTS] board shear---(loop gauge)

Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for help.
    First, Charles, to answer your question about the origin of the term
"loop gauge", --I have no idea.   It may not be the proper name, but "loop
gauge" is what it is called by a number of binders I've worked with.   And
that's where I picked up the term,   "Small cutter" in fact may be its
proper name.
    And, what I call the "front" of the shear is the side that has the table
to my left and the blade to my right when I'm using the monster.  So if a
"small cutter" is on what I consider to be the front of the shear, then we
are indeed talking about two different things.
little wheels on the front.   One (the larger) adjusts the distance of the
loop gauge/small cutter from the blade.   This wheel turns a gear which
rotates against a toothed strip on the bottom of the loop gauge assembly to
move the assembly toward or away from the blade.   It works fine and is not
missing any teeth.
    The second (and smaller) wheel appears to have as its only function to
tighten against the side of thick piece of metal that is moved by the first
wheel.  It does not seem to cause the gauge to change its angle from the
back of the blade to the front of the blade so that the gauge can be made
parallel to the blade.  I'm guessing that it's intended as some sort of a
clamping arrangement to keep the position of the loop gauge in place while
cutting.   But I could be wrong.  Or perhaps something is missing from my
shear.
    In regard to the shims, as suggested by Bruce and William, I think that
may be the answer.  The springed assembly does indeed lift off its bar
simply by loosening a couple of winged nuts, but unfortunately there isn't
enough room in the upside-down V's that fit back on the bar and assembly
that moves to fit a thick enough shim in  to correct the problem.   So I
think what I'm going to have to do (unless someone can come up with yet
another idea) is take the spring assembly to a machinist and have those V's
enlarged.
    For those of you who responded, if the spring assembly is removed from
your shear by loosening the wing nuts and lifting off:   is there a flat
piece of metal screwed into the back of those V's and into a little
stationary wheel in the middle of the metal bar that runs through the
springs?  If this metal piece serves no function, I think I can solve the
problem by removing it (as this would increase the size of the V's thereby
permitting the insertion of shims -after I get longer winged nuts).  My
concern about removing this piece is that it seems to stabilize the wheel
where the two springs join.
    Any ideas and advice on that one?
    My loop gauge is off about  0.5 cm over the approximately 26 inches
length of the gauge bar.   So it's a fairly substantial amount.  And for any
precise cutting this pretty much renders the loop gauge useless.
    Thanks.
Virginia