From: "Bruce Levy" <levybooks@EMAIL.COM>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] board shear---(loop gauge)

>  Stone Eye - An Exhibition of the Midwest Chapter, Guild of Book Workers
>   For information about the exhibition, and to order your catalog, see
>   <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/mwchap/specialevent2.shtml>
>
> I just checked my shear.  I don't know why your grooves are shaped like a
"v".  Mine is shaped like a "U" to fit on the curved top edge/lip.  Mine
also has a clearance of about 3/16" at a minimum.  If your shear doesn't
have that much clearance try loosening the three large bolts on the bottom
of the pan, and see if there is any movement available to slightly alter the
angle.  You would probably only need a little, on top of the clearance from
the top part.
>      Maybe the name loop guage comes from either the large oblong loop
that the spring guage rests on, or the little loops that the spring makes on
the guage itself, or maybe we should just rename it "the thing guage".

> Bruce

And
> > that's where I picked up the term,   "Small cutter" in fact may be its
> > proper name.
> >     And, what I call the "front" of the shear is the side that has the
table
> > to my left and the blade to my right when I'm using the monster.  So if
> > "small cutter" is on what I consider to be the front of the shear, then
we
> > are indeed talking about two different things.
> > little wheels on the front.   One (the larger) adjusts the distance of
the
> > loop gauge/small cutter from the blade.   This wheel turns a gear which
> > rotates against a toothed strip on the bottom of the loop gauge assembly
> > move the assembly toward or away from the blade.   It works fine and is
not
> > missing any teeth.
> >     The second (and smaller) wheel appears to have as its only function
> > tighten against the side of thick piece of metal that is moved by the
first
> > wheel.  It does not seem to cause the gauge to change its angle from the
> > back of the blade to the front of the blade so that the gauge can be
made
> > parallel to the blade.  I'm guessing that it's intended as some sort of
> > clamping arrangement to keep the position of the loop gauge in place
while
> > cutting.   But I could be wrong.  Or perhaps something is missing from
my
> > shear.
> >     In regard to the shims, as suggested by Bruce and William, I think
that
> > may be the answer.  The springed assembly does indeed lift off its bar
> > simply by loosening a couple of winged nuts, but unfortunately there
isn't
> > enough room in the upside-down V's that fit back on the bar and assembly
> > that moves to fit a thick enough shim in  to correct the problem.   So I
> > think what I'm going to have to do (unless someone can come up with yet
> > another idea) is take the spring assembly to a machinist and have those
V's
> > enlarged.
> >     For those of you who responded, if the spring assembly is removed
from
> > your shear by loosening the wing nuts and lifting off:   is there a flat
> > piece of metal screwed into the back of those V's and into a little
> > stationary wheel in the middle of the metal bar that runs through the
> > springs?  If this metal piece serves no function, I think I can solve
the
> > problem by removing it (as this would increase the size of the V's
thereby
> > permitting the insertion of shims -after I get longer winged nuts).  My
> > concern about removing this piece is that it seems to stabilize the
wheel
> > where the two springs join.
> >     Any ideas and advice on that one?
> >     My loop gauge is off about  0.5 cm over the approximately 26 inches
> > length of the gauge bar.   So it's a fairly substantial amount.  And for
any
> > precise cutting this pretty much renders the loop gauge useless.
> >     Thanks.
> > Virginia

Hope