Re: [BKARTS] Off List Replies and Bruce Levy Lay flat Binding

I began teaching hands-on techniques as an electrician aboard the
USS Tidewater, (AD-31) when I was appointed as division training
petty officer in 1967.

Ten years later, or thereabouts, I was teaching hand bookbinding and
book/paper restoration techniques to librarians and archivists.

It was clear that while some things may be learned from the literature
(including aspects of the internet these days) there are some things which
may only be learned by observation/training.

And Bruce Levy's K118 falls within the latter category.  It's sort of like
reading about how to perform an appendectomy.  One may understand what is
to be done, and in what order, but if one doesn't know how to cut and sew,
it is probably best left to the doctor.

Bruce comments:

>I never received a cent for the videos that were made by the GBW of my
>>Standards presentation on rebacking, which have been selling for years,
>and >this is the first time I mention it- but to my way of thinking,
>things have >been bass-akwards in this field for some time.  But as I said
>I am ALWAYS
>there to answer questions.

As the producer of that videotape I can confirm his assertion; he never
received a dime for his (1987) effort.

His videotape is still available from me ($30.00, includes shipping in the
US; $5.00 goes to GBW) and it is the best of two rebacking videotapes in
the GBW Standards Seminar series (Bernard Middleton's 1992 presentation is
also good but we had better equipment for recording Bruce's presentation,
and the slide show at the beginning is worth the price of admission.)

On the other hand, if Bruce had received a 15% royalty from his presentation,
his income from that project over the past 15 years would have come to
approx. $187.50, or $12.50/yr.  Do the math.

The last year I produced the Standards Seminar was 1992.  In 1993, just before
that seminar Monique Lallier called me up and shrieked (I kid you not, boys
and girls) that I was not to produce any more videotapes of Standards Seminars.

Neither Frank Mowery, Karen Crisalli, nor Betsy Palmer Eldrige have ever been
willing to tell me why this was so, but, to the best of my knowledge, there
have been no Standards Seminar videotapes available since 1992.

Just another data point.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick