[BKARTS] Lay flat Binding-grammar police

At the risk of exposing my inner foibles to an uncaring world, but to save myself
from terminal exasperation, allow me to point out that a book LIES flat.  No
eggs, flat or otherwise, have ever been produced by any book binding structure I
have ever encountered.  Books that do not have direct objects (eggs or what ever)
upon opening do or do not lie flat. flat being an adverb, here, not a direct
object.  For those who find the descriptive term "lie flat binding" awkward and
would prefer the ungrammatical "lay flat", the grammar police propose the
alternative term the "sunny side up binding"...
  Department of Home Land Security
   Language Division
 Dorothy Africa, undercover grammar cop