[BKARTS] Lay flat Binding-or Binding That Lies Flat

Hi all grammar cops:

I love it when someone challenges words and definitions used. Challenges are
a good way to learn. I hope Dorothy and some of you grammar cops love to
debate as well because that is what I truly love.

Debate#1: I love the English language because it is a non rigid language
where what sounds right often wins over what is grammatically correct.

Accepted Fact#1: It is best to use words in a grammatically correct way if
that sounds right.

Information#1: Werner Rebsamen is an expert on binding. Here is what he said
in http://www.lbsbind.com/cover/myopinion/summer96-02.html "Recently, we
hear of binders who offer PUR lay-flat bindings. They state that these
bindings are better than Otabind or RepKover™. They are wrong. These PUR
lay-flat bindings do not float within the soft covers. The cover is broken
on the spine when such a binding is laid flat onto a table. This kind of
binding is nothing new. We bound such lay-flat bindings in the 1950’s using
high quality and flexible PVA adhesives. For these reasons, let’s keep the
binding techniques and terminologies simple: Lay-flat binding – Any method
of binding that allows the spine to move freely within a soft cover
structure – similar to a sewn hard cover binding. All other methods of
binding use PVAs, flexible hotmelts or PURs may be sold as bindings which
lie flat. As the covers are glued to the spine, their open-ability is
restricted by the cover material used.

Analysis#1: First notice that Werner uses a hyphenated term, lay-flat.

Analysis#2: Notice how awkward "bindings that lie flat" sound compared to
lay-flat binding.

Analysis#3: Werner uses the two term lay-flat and lies flat to differentiate
two different types of binding.

Analysis#4: The term lay-flat is a coined term and doesn't necessarily have
to fit into the grammar rules.

Debate#2: The term lay-flat seems to have been originally used to describe
the Otabind method of binding but so many similar bindings have appeared
that it is best to expand the use of the term greatly.

Debate#3: I don't agree with Werner Rebsamen on what type of bindings should
be included in the lay-flat category. There are numerous bindings such as
the thermal tape binding and the cloth softcover that can have extremely
flexible spines in which case often these lie flatter even that those
methods of binding that allow the spine to move freely within a soft cover
structure.

I Move#1: Due to the great many mixtures of book bindings that have evolved
over time, I move that either of the terms lay-flat, or layflat, or lay
flat...binding be the accepted coined term for either hardcover, limpcover,
or softcover books where any page of the book will lie flat when opened so
that both pages of the book can be read without moving the book. A slight
amount of initial hand pressing down of pages is acceptable. The book cover
spine shall not become visibly deformed in the operation. Generally books in
this category will have a book block with a flexible spine and arc as the
book is opened. Mechanical, flexible adhesive, sewn, and string are some of
the bindings that fit into this category.

I Move#2: I move that the term lie-flat, or lieflat, or lie flat...binding
be the accepted coined term for either hardcover, limpcover, or softcover
books where a book can be opened to lie substantially flat when reading so
that both pages of the book can be read without moving the book. A large
amount of constant hand pressing down of pages is acceptable. The book cover
or spine is allowed to become visibly deformed in the operation as long as
the book spine is not broken in definite places and still has a reasonable
life. Many modern perfect bound books using polyurethane adhesives or
flexible hot melt glues fit into this category.

I Move#3: I move that the term mouse-trap, or mousetrap, or mouse
trap...binding be the accepted coined term for either hardcover, limpcover,
or softcover books where a book cannot reasonably be opened to lie
substantially flat when reading in which case both pages of the book cannot
be read easily without moving the book. A large amount of constant hand
pressing down of pages generally breaks the glue in the spine in certain
places but the book block may still stay together. Many modern adhesive
bound hardcover books fit into this category and also perfect bound books
that use more rigid adhesives. Mostly the term mousetrap binding will be
used by professionals evaluating a book structure. Book shops and book
binders will just prefer to not mention the binding style at all with this
type of book binding or call it a generic hardcover or softcover.

Ben Wiens...undercover definition cop
Vancouver BC Canada
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
See my "Encyclopedia of Energy Science" for proper energy definitions