Re: [BKARTS] Is fairy dust required in making adhesive lay-flat bindings?

Maybe you didn't rough the spine enough to get a good grip for the
glue. Instead of a hand held wire brush get a wheel that fits an
electric drill and give it a good go.

MayKitten
--- Ben Wiens <ben@BENWIENS.COM> wrote:
> [...]
> edges was
> used.
> (7) PUR porous stock...had 1992 Autodesk computer software manual
> which I am
> sure must be a PUR lay-flat binding as it doesn't melt and is not
> soft like
> my PVA bound books. Did repeated subway test in which the book
> block is
> doubled back on itself and also did book whip test by holding one
> half of
> book while whipping the free book pages wide open and closed
> vigorously.
> Book seems to handle this kind of abuse quite well. Pages seem to
> be glued
> very well and have a very slight arc when opened but glue line is
> visible
> and shows no visible milling.
>
> CONCLUSIONS
> (1) The PVA adhesive  I have which I got from a commercial
> bookbinder seems
> to be extremely weak as I can tear apart pages with ease even
> when I observe
> some glue on edges of the paper. Run a fingernail over a spine
> with PVA
> exposed, it feels mushy soft and ready to tear.
> (2) I have never seen a thermally bound book with even gluing of
> each page,
> there always seem to be gaps between some pages. Run a fingernail
> over a
> spine with hot melt exposed. The adhesive feels very inflexible
> more like
> wax than rubber or plastic.
> (3) PUR or polyurethane adhesive appears to be super tough
> compared to PVA
> and hot melt glue. It seems almost impossible to tear apart pages
> when the
> glue has penetrated. Run a fingernail over a spine with PUR
> exposed. The
> glue feels very durable like regular plastic.
>
> QUESTIONS
> (1) Why are my experiences with PVA adhesive or hot melt
> adhesives different
> than all the articles I read?
> (2) Are the page gaps in thermal hot melt binding due to typical
> poor
> clamping of book blocks?
> (3) Why isn't PUR used more in short run bookbinding or even
> library binding
> if it is so strong? I was told recently by a bookbinding expert
> that while
> it is trickier to work with than hot melt or PVA it is even
> possible to do
> short run bookbinding with it. As long as temperatures are kept
> below stated
> limits no toxic fumes are created I'm told. Does anyone have any
> experience
> with PUR used for short run bookbinding?
>
> Ben Wiens
> Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
> 8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC V3K1G3 Canada
> Tel: 604-520-6321 8am-10 pm Pacific Standard Time

=====
Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

>From the book, Charge of the Goddess
BY: Doreen Valiente