Re: [BKARTS] fairy dust & adhesive bound books

> Pete Jermann and I and lots of other people have been making durable books for
> many years. Indeed, more than ninety percent of the hard cover books produced
> today and virtually all of the soft cover books are adhesive bound. Since you
> are having more problems than other binderies, perhaps we should look at your
> methods.
> Commercial binderies sometimes do mill and notch the spines of books for
> several reasons

I have one of these notched paper books on my desk right now, a $50.00
Illustrator 9 Wow! book by Peachpit Press.  Best of the Illustrator
textbooks in my opinion but as soon as I opened it a page fell out.  Didn't
even have the decency to wait a year.  The other pages are hanging on
precariously.  I hate adhesive bound books.  They are (one of) the banes of
my existence.  I wouldn't mind if it weren't such an expensive book, which
is to say nothing of the fact that, being a manual, it is constantly being
referred to and used.  I am thinking of taking it to Kinko's to have it
spiral bound but this just pi**es me off even more (to spend even more money
just to keep it together).  There are lots more on my shelves just like
this.

Just because everybody does it doesn't mean it's a great idea.  It's just
cheaper for the bindery which is a lousy deal for the customer.  Another
example of the rapidly declining nature of cheap American consumer products,
but don't get me started.

A (very) disappointed book lover,
Christine