Re: [BKARTS] Advice concerning Nylon Gossamer

In a message dated 6/24/02 9:31:58 PM, antiquebooks@OZEMAIL.COM.AU writes:

<<<  However, due to this water damage, the paper has lost much of

its strength, and needs laminating to remain firm.  Normally, we use

fine Japanese paper to strengthen such areas.

However, we should like to consider the use of this Nylon Gossamer.>>>

Peter,
I would not use Nylon Gossamer, as --- if memory serves me right --- its long
term strength was questioned within a few years of its introduction.
I have had some experience with just this type of problem. I had considered a
very thin Japanese tissue and a very dilute wheat starch paste for a similar
project, but realized that I was still going to add too much bulk to that
area for the book. The entire book with over 150 leaves was mold damaged in
the lower right corner -- almost 1/4 of each page was affected.
The solution was Leaf Casting, and it was FANTASTIC! A small amount of pulp
was drawn into the mold damaged area, and with a sizing of methylcellulose,
the pages had most, if not all, of their original strength. The overall
handling of the paper was not hindered by the treatment and there was no
extra bulk. Actually, we did a partial Cast on both sides of each leaf
because there was text to contend with -- we did not want to cover any text
with the casting.
In discussing this treatment with fellow conservators, I learned that they
too have used Leaf Casting as a means of restoring strength to mold damaged
paper.
Ideally, I should be able to have you check my website for the Before and
After, but, unfortunately, I do not have a site (Dark Ages?). I only have
slides of Before and After. If you are interested, I could get the slides
transferred to a disk.
I might add that I have a Leaf Caster that sees limited use. I have
considered offering Leaf Casting as a service to fellow binders who do not
have this worthwhile machine.
Good Luck.

Bill Minter
4364 Woodbury Pike