Re: [BKARTS] dies

You may use the same laser table to cut paper that you use to make
your steel rule dies, IF your laser is tunable; or if the laser can
be set to various powers so that you hav enough power to cut to the
bottom of what you're cutting or as little power as necessary to
cut only a shallow relief or to the bottom of a much shorter lays.

For paper you can do 25-50 sheets of 8-15 point cover or up to 75
sheets of 70 pound book at a time, allthough I have successfully
cut three sheets of 0.088" binder's board for a short run of a
special size book for which I didn't want to set-up the rotery
cutter.

MayKitten

--- "Peter D. Verheyen" <verheyen@PHILOBIBLON.COM> wrote:
> Don't know about laser cutting, other than Eleanor Ramsey used it
> on a set
> of boards for a fantastic binding she did a few years back.
>
> Dies aren't cheap (I think about $5") but allow you to do many
> things. At
> Gaylord we used them to cut out the blanks for all the boxes they
> make.
> I've also seen people use them with flatbed presses. Perhaps
> someone else
> has the details, but my recollection was that they were mounted
> on the bed
> of the press, and a rubber mat was attached to the big roller.
> With the
> right amount of pressure they will easily cut through a sheet of
> paper, and
> possibly even folder stock. An added advantage is that not only
> can they
> cut, but they can also crease in the same operation. Just
> different metal
> pieces for that part.
>
> p.
>
> >Does anyone know about those lovely,
> >intricate laser cut products?
> >
> >Patrice Baldwin
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Philobiblon: Book Arts, Different By Design
> Hand Binding, Conservation, and Project Websites
> Peter D. Verheyen
> <mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
> <http://www.philobiblon.com/philobiblon>

> related