Re: [BKARTS] PVA glue

Dear Linda:

If you have been following my thread "The fairy dust of adhesive lay-flat
bindings" you will have noticed that not all PVA or PVA copolymers or EVA
copolymers are created equal.

Because of the confusion in names I would refer to this type of adhesive as
bookbinding cold emulsion adhesive because there are different formulations.
The first lot of cold emulsion adhesive I bought proved to be 8% as strong
as the latest I purchased. The pages in the double-fan glued test book I
made with the earlier cold emulsion adhesive could be pulled out as easily
as a writing pad.

Turns out that many bookbinders are selling and using PVA padding adhesive
for use in bookbinding. Padding adhesive is designed to be very weak.
Unfortunately almost no cold emulsion adhesive comes with technical
specifications. You have to go on someone else's tests and there are very
few of these published.

See my latest thread "The fairy dust of adhesive lay-flat bindings-Rainbow
RH209 Adhesive." It lists the source of my latest adhesive. Tell me what you
are going to be using the cold emulsion adhesive for.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC Canada V3K1G3
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my very popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"