Re: [BKARTS] The fairy dust of adhesive lay-flat bindings-Rainbow RH209 Adhesive?

Ben Wiens' report of his tests is quite interesting, and confirms what I have
observed. However, I have not done corner pull or whip tests.
   I would appreciate it if he would describe his "Corner Pull" test in
greater detail. It sounds very interesting.
   How do the results of his "Wiens Whip Test" correlate with the page pull
tests and with the standard page flex tests?
   Using mull to duplicate thermal tape binding poses difficulties in keeping
the tape edges parallel to the spine. However, I use double-fan gluing, and
incorporate the mull in one operation. As I apply the glue to the bent-over
spine, I brush a bit along the edge of the endpaper. I do the same on the
other bend of the book block. Then I apply the mull before removing the book
block from the press. After the glue has set for an hour or so, I attach a
wrap-around cover, by applying a thin bead of adhesive on the mull, about 1/2
inch from, and parallel to the spine (on both the front and back of the text
block). This yields a loose spine and allows the book to open freely, while
keeping good page retention strength.
   The problem of secrecy in adhesive manufacture is quite severe. Each
manufacturer seems to feel that the way to gain market share is to promote its
brand name, rather than to provide information about chemical composition and
test results. Some feel free to change the composition of their adhesives
without notice, so you must not only do your own tests, but do them
periodically.
    For those who don't want to buy large quantities of adhesives, I recommend
Aleene's Tacky Glue and SoBo. These are available in craft and art stores in 4
to 8 oz bottles which are also handy applicators of beads of glue. My problem
with large quantities of adhesives is that they get old and lose their
strength before I use them up. I don't use glue that is more than one year
old.
Rupert
http://www.philobiblon.com"              <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> =====
> [...]
>with the Rebsamen subway test instead but this takes longer for initial
>tests.
>
>COVER PEEL TEST
>The biggest problem with a lay-flat book is that it opens so well. This puts
>the glue under more stress when trying to pull on the pages of a fully
>opened book. A glue joint that is peeled back on itself is far weaker than a
>lap joint not peeled. The glue joint between the cover and the first page
>may be the most highly stressed in a lay-flat book. In the case of a tape
>bound book, the tape is stronger than paper and so it doesn't readily tear.
>I had made two different test books. One book used only standard thickness
>paper for the cover, the other used 0.010 thick card stock. The more
>flexible paper cover resulted in a stronger first and second page. In either
>case I found that I could peel off the tape binding when tugging on the
>cover with a lot of force. I did not have a good means of measuring this
>force, but it appeared to be equal or higher than the force needed to tear
>out a page of the book. The cover peel strength seems to be adequate. I
>found I could peel off covers of other production books with about the same
>force. I'd like to do more tests.
>
>HOT AND COLD TESTS
>A casting of the RH209 adhesive 0.020 inches thick cooled to minus 15 deg C
>or 5 deg F bent over on itself snapped in two but at minus 10 degrees C
>appeared to be reasonably pliable. A test book cooled to minus 15 deg C or 5
>deg F was stiff but pages appeared to remain intact after warming with 10
>subway test cycles of bending 360 degrees. Test was done crudely by handling
>sample with cooled gloves in the freezer. The adhesive was still strong
>enough when heated to about 60 deg C or 140 deg F.
>
>LAY-FLAT
>The RH209 adhesive double-fan tape bound book lay flatter than the thermal
>tape bound book and about the same as the polyurethane tape bound book block
>(both RepKover with spine cover cut off). With the RH209 adhesive double-fan
>bound book every page of a 8.5 x 11 inch book block would likely lie flat on
>it's own weight.
>
>RH209 adhesive
>This adhesive may be as strong as the one you are already using. You would
>have to do similar tests to see. I would be interested in seeing your
>results. If you are interested in trying the RH209 adhesive you can get it
>from:
>
>Rainbow Industrial Products
>2390 Canoe Ave. Coquitlam BC V3K6C2 Canada
>Tel: 604-941-5051
>Fax: 604-941-5044
>
>Cost: Cdn$20 for 1 liter. Minimum purchase Cdn$20.
>
>Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
>Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
>8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC Canada V3K1G3
>E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
>Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
>Read my very popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"

Rupert N. Evans
Summer: 101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697
217-337-7833
Winter: 501-391 S LaPosada Circle, Green Valley, AZ 85614
520-648-8365
Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
I love to print and bind books