Re: [BKARTS] PVA glue

Dear Linda:

You didn't say whether you are using adhesive or sewn binding in your casing
in. If you are adhesive binding your books, the strength of the adhesive is
very important and you would want the best adhesive available. Still, in
either case, I would want to use a strong adhesive, not a padding adhesive.
As far as I know, I am the only one that has listed adhesive bound book
strengths on Book Arts, see "The fairy dust of adhesive lay-flat
bindings-Rainbow RH209 Adhesive." I could not find such test results either
in an extensive Internet search. Air Products is the only company that seems
to list cold emulsion adhesive properties but they don't relate it to book
strength and you have to order 5 gallon minimum quantities from them. If you
don't mind ordering from Canada you can purchase the bookbinding adhesive I
tested which is Rainbow RH209 cold emulsion adhesive. It is specially
formulated for and is only available from:

Rainbow Industrial Products
2390 Canoe Ave. Coquitlam BC V3K6C2 Canada
Tel: 604-941-5051
Fax: 604-941-5044
Cost: Cdn$20 for 1 liter. Minimum purchase Cdn$20.

Rainbow Industrial Products will ship worldwide, but if you want to order
adhesive from the US, Rupert Evans suggests using Aleene's Tacky Glue and
SoBo. These are available in craft and art stores in 4 to 8 oz bottles which
are also handy applicators of beads of glue he says. But I have not tested
these adhesives for strength. In this case I would suggest doing strength
tests yourself. Even strong bookbinding adhesives can vary in strength by a
factor of at least 2 and maybe even 4 times it appears.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC Canada V3K1G3
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my very popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"